View Single Post
Old 11-21-13, 10:33 AM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by john gault
I don't get the point of all this; it will not change the minds of those that hate cyclists. I wonder how much money they are spending on this?

And if a cop sees you riding down the road slowing traffic he can still cite you. Unless the law has changed, has it?

Current law: http://www.delcode.delaware.gov/title21/c041/sc12/

Excerpt:

§ 4196. Position on roadway.

(a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand edge of the roadway except under any of the following circumstances:

(1) When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction;

(2) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway;

(3) When proceeding straight in a right-turn-only lane; or

(4) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions including, but not limited to fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards or substandard width lanes that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand edge of roadway. For purposes of this section, a "substandard width lane" is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.

(b) Any person operating a bicycle upon a one-way highway with 2 or more marked traffic lanes and a posted speed limit of less than 30 miles per hour may ride as near the left-hand edge of such roadway as practicable.

(c) Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than 2 abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding 2 abreast shall not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic and, on a laned roadway, shall ride within a single lane.

(d) Any person operating a bicycle may ride upon a paved shoulder with due regard for any traffic control devices intended to regulate or guide traffic or pedestrians.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4194; 54 Del. Laws, c. 160, § 1; 66 Del. Laws, c. 167, § 2; 78 Del. Laws, c. 206, §§ 1, 2.;

Unless the state law specifically specifies otherwise by FDOT regulations any lane that is not at least 14-foot wide is "a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane".

At least where I am up here in MT lanes anywhere other then the Interstate Freeways that are 14-foot or wider are the extreme rarity. Thus making my state's FRAP law subject to this exception almost all the time (MT law lists same exception and does not define in state code exactly how wide that is).

So basically the exception to the law is the norm. Which the basic result is that the law being only in effect without the exception on such few rare roads with lanes that wide serves mainly as a way to harass cyclists and encourage motorists entitlement mindset and having people like me have to continually explain this fact over and over both out of an in court. I've was given a "failure to FRAP" tickets for riding in the right lane of a five lane, two lanes each direction, middle turning lane roadway that has absolutely no shoulder edges but rather sharp curb edge in-town with 25-speed limit while I was going 20+ on my bike in narrow lanes that were barely 8-foot wide and where I pointed out to the cop that the cruiser he was driving took up the entire lane width with its mirrors and that if I were to try to share the lane with him if he moved to the far left edge of the lane with his tires riding the dashed white line between the fast and slow lanes and his left mirror sticking into the fast lane I would have only slightly more then a foot of width between his right mirror and the curb edge for me and my bike to fit into and had a printout copy of the law in my back-pack and showed it to him and pointed out the exact wording and he still wrote me the ticket and I had to mess with the hassle of taking it into court and then when I put him on the stand and asked him about what I had shown him on the scene and how wide his cruiser was in the lane and how much room I would have he refused to answer the questions and took the fifth !!!

You need to actually read that law and consider each one of the possible exceptions very carefully and understand its full implication. By the time you are done it would surprise me very much if you didn't realize that the exceptions are the rule more often then the rule !!!