View Single Post
Old 11-21-13, 03:02 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Looks like a good movie. Don't know if it will measure up to Dead Calm for me though. I'm guessing Redford couldn't get Nicole Kidman to do another boat movie, so he turned it into a solo trip. And why not just do another remake of Old Man and the Sea? Maybe Redford didn't want to draw too fine a comparison between himself and two other, great, aging actors in Anthony Quinn and Spencer Tracy. More likely, he just didn't want to pay licensing fees to the Hemingway estate.

Another great "man at sea" movie is Life of Pi. I read the book when it first came out, and was thoroughly unimpressed. After my wife saw the movie on a plane and raved about it, we bought Pi on 3-D, DVD. Would that be DVDD? I thought it was brilliant, and much more poignant than the book.

The one I'm waiting to see made, and hopefully by James Franco before he gets too old, is Unbroken. Unbroken is the second major work, following Seabiscuit, by the amazing author Laura Hillenbrand. If you haven't read Unbroken, I highly recommend it.