View Single Post
Old 11-21-13, 06:24 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5857 Post(s)
Liked 2,699 Times in 1,507 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
RIM? you need a Hook bead, straight sided ones wont hold the tire on at more than a modest PSI.
Not true!

IRC was making 27x1-1/4" HP 90psi tires long before hook edge rims came to market. They worked flawlessly on straight side steel and aluminum rims of the era. As of 3 years ago they were still in production and available for sale in the USA at very low prices, and still working fine on straight side rims.

These were not the only HP 27" tires that worked on straight side rims.

However it is true that tires designed around hook edge rims, may not hold their full rated pressure with straight rims. The hook design provides a mechanical interlock allowing the tire maker to use a lighter (stretchier) bead wire.

Sine tires have a large reserve for over inflation, most cases of blowoff are not because of a misfit on the rims, but because of user error in the form of poor seating when mounted.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.