Old 11-25-13, 12:36 AM
AngeloDolce

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by turbo1889
Considering that the right turn lanes in question are not "right turn ONLY" but are either straight through or right turn that actually isn't too bad. When the straight through bike lane is to the right of a "right turn ONLY" lane that is what is really, really, really a stupid design.

Although I did note that it appears in the distance that this bike lane becomes a door zone bike lane further up the road (white car parked to the right of the bike lane, or is that a right turn ONLY lane that car is moving in further up the road?). Door zone bike lanes are 100% unacceptable to me in every way, as are straight through bike lanes to the right of right turn ONLY main traffic lanes. That isn't a right turn ONLY lane though so although I would not call it ideal I don't consider that unacceptable.
They are door zone bike lanes. If it were a RTOL lane, bike lanes are typically painted into the gutter. (possible photo tomorrow)

If a curb is necessary, you can also narrow the bike lane to 19" (I measured it)

The problem I have with the bike lanes to right of combination lane is that DelDOT keeps talking about using dotted lines to "allow" bicyclists to leave the bike lane, but amost never follows even AASHTO recommendations of dotting it for 50'-200' (in my opinion still too short when the RTOL lane is 600'+, Faulkland Road).

Many of these intersections used to have RTOL lanes and there are still lots of motorists turning right. The solid linese imply DelDOT thinks all motorists should stay to the left and all bicyclists should stay to the right regardless of destination, and planners have also told me this at public meetings.

These planners also told me motorists always have the right of way (i.e. bicyclist is always at fault in any collision), but to be polite turning motorists will often let bicyclist go straight. Showing major confusion, they admitted that without bike lanes, bicyclists had to operate as any other vehicle, and that oncoming motorists turning left would have to yield the right of way in the absence of a bike lane. (But not if a bike lane is present).

Are you starting to understand why I'd rather have a normal right of way, rather than being painted to the right of even combined straight/right turn arrows at intersection with heavy traffic turning right? Fortunately, drivers here seem to be smarter than the engineers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20130611_161304.jpg (87.6 KB, 4 views)
IMG_20130611_160701.jpg (94.9 KB, 4 views)
IMG_20130611_155753.jpg (93.4 KB, 5 views)
IMG_20130612_141958.jpg (97.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by AngeloDolce; 11-25-13 at 12:44 AM.