Old 11-25-13, 09:24 AM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by christo930
I have been cycling for many years, most of my life in fact. Last spring I bought a helmet for the first time. I really wasn't thinking and I bought a black helmet (they shouldn't even make black helmets) and as a result, my biking was really reduced during the summer. I was overheating far too much and becoming a danger to myself. But now that I've bought the stupid thing, I could never forgive myself if I had an accident without the helmet and was hurt. The what ifs would drive me crazy.

Chris
Well, I got admit... I have a black helmet. I've worn it for a couple of years now. It's well vented, but nothing fancy. It gets above 40C here in the summer, with humidity. I don't race, but I've ridden for several hours at a time, and I can't say I've ever had a heat exhaustion issue because of my helmet. Do you, perhaps, have an unusually high metabolism?

As a note, I shave my head (more out of necessity as that ol' hairline keeps receding!), so even in hot weather, I'm wearing a cap or something to ward off direct sun. I often go running in the heat (4 to 5 km in midday) to acclimatize myself during the warm months.