Old 11-25-13, 02:46 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I guess I don't really see the cause and effect between the thread title and that video. If anything, what that video says to me is "here's why you need a front (not overly high powered) blinking light to identify yourself as a biker and stand out from the overwhelmingly large amount of visual noise.

I think something like a Planet Bike 1 watt front light on blinking mode would be more effective than more lumens for being seen in that situation.
Agree, I think the cyclist WAS using a rather bright front blinking light as I saw the reflection more a number of times. At least a lot of other cyclist were riding the area as well and most were not timid about getting into the traffic. That means that the vehicular traffic is going to be more than aware of the presence of bikes...a good thing. The cyclist also had a horn and was using it often which was a smart thing to do considering how low to the ground he was.

As to the OP subject; No need for a solid bright light on front for seeing with all those street lamps so it was smart to go with flashing front light. If I was riding a recumberant I would also go with a helmet lamp, flash or low power solid just to paint a bigger picture.