Old 11-25-13, 07:42 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 607 Posts
Originally Posted by MagicHour
Which brings up another point, a couple months ago I sat up during a ride and my bike would track off to one side or another and felt really unstable. When I got home and was trying to figure out what was going on, I realized my headset bearings were shot and had started to 'index' on me. Had the headset replaced and one again rides beautifully no-handed. Check your headset and make sure it feels smooth and isn't slipping into grooves in it's range of motion.

Wanted to point out those two things from a mechanical perspective so see if it's either of those.
Both bikes have had the headsets replaced this year. One I have had since new in 1997 and I have never been able to ride no handed on it, the other is a Frankenbike I put together from leftovers, most of which came from the other bike and eBay bargains so it could very well have a frame or fork issue but it handles like a dream. I can ride both with just a light touch with one finger on the bars. I'm finishing up a hybrid build in the next few days, it will be interesting to see how I do on it. Thanks all.