Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jyl
You are riding on a street with one narrow traffic lane in each direction, curbside parking, no bike lane, posted speed limit 25 mph. The cars ahead of you are going 20 to 25 mph. There are cars behind you, and intermittent car traffic in the opposite direction. The traffic lane is narrow, so even if you ride close to the parked cars on your right, the cars behind cannot pass you safely without going halfway over the centerline.

1. Do you position yourself
a) to the right of the lane, close to the parked cars
b) in the middle of the traffic lane
c) other (explain?)

2. You are at a 100 foot section where there are no parked cars. Do you
a) hold your original position in the lane
b) move to the right and ride in the parking strip to let cars pass you, then move left to your original position
c) other

3. You are riding through an intersection. Do you
a) hold your original position in the lane
b) move to the right and ride in the parking strip to let cars pass you, then move left to your original position
c) other

4. You stop at a red light. Do you
a) stop off to the right, and let cars pass you when the light turns green
b) stop in the middle of the traffic lane, and keep cars behind you at the green light
c) other: Stop to the right, but signal to cars behind of my intentions since quite a few drivers here don't use their turn-signals.

5. The road is flat. There are cars following you. Do you try to maintain a speed that is
a) roughly the flow of car traffic, 20-25 mph
b) brisk but below car traffic, 15-20 mph
c) leisurely cycling, <15 mph
d) other

6. For just one or two blocks, the road has a gentle upwards grade (2-3%). Do you
a) work hard to maintain your previous flat road speed
b) slow down to maintain your previous effort level
c) other: depends on traffic flow; I will work harder not to impeded traffic and keep a pace, but will not over-stress myself

7. A car ahead of you has stopped to reverse into a parking spot. There is no oncoming traffic. The car takes up the whole lane. Do you
a) stop behind him and wait
b) cross the centerline and pass him on the left
c) move right and pass him on the right
d) go onto the sidewalk and pass the parking car
e) other

8. A car ahead of you has stopped for a pedestrian who is still on the far opposite side of the street. Do you
a) pass the car on the right
b) pass the car on the left
c) stop behind the car and wait
d) other: pass the car on the left and stop next to the drivers window to wait for pedestrian

9. You come to a stop sign. There are no cars near you on the street, and there is no cross traffic. Do you
a) ride through the stop, while slowing either a bit or not at all
b) ride through the stop, while slowing to a walk
c) stop momentarily and proceed without putting a foot down
d) stop, put a foot down, and proceed
e) other

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity!
Hope this helps!