Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
I'm certainly no Cannondale expert, so I can't really say how special it might be. The SR800 was behind the SR900 and SR1000 in their road bike lineup in 1986. Interestingly enough, complete SR800 bikes came with a SunTour Superbe Pro group, while the SR900 came with Nuovo Record. The SR1000 was built with Dura-Ace. I would have preferred the Superbe Pro over the NR components, at least given what I know now. Not apparent in this picture is that there is a big chunk of paint missing on the seat tube, perhaps two or three inches high, all the way around the tube. In the picture it's still covered by the electrical tape it came with. I also realized the one picture I posted was utter crap, so I updated the post with the other three pictures I took last night.

When I tore it down today I discovered it also has a Phil bottom bracket, so I'll be using part of my Amazon birthday gift card to get the correct wrench and migrate it to my Redcay. The crank arms are mismatched (both date and size), but are in great shape. Hopefully I'll be able to swap the 165mm left arm for a 170. Oh, and it has a Super Record headset.
Funny that when I went to buy my first real road bike I had the option to pick up a Nishiki Competition that was Cyclone equipped or the Pro that was NR equipped... my shop owner and mentor said the Cyclone equipped bike was the nicest shifting he had ever seen and the Superbe only took this a step better.

Superbe Pro is probably as good as it gets from the friction shifting era... Dura Ace and NR could not touch it.