Old 11-27-13, 12:03 PM
dajjorg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sweat-wicking base layers

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding sweat wicking material. So everyday I bike approx 2 miles to work at around 5:50am, already in my work uniform, and usually with multiple heavy layers on in the winter to protect me from subfreezing temps (live in the northeast). Once I get to work, I am stationed either inside or outside. In the case that I am outside, I am stuck trying to stay warm with a thick layer of sweat on my upper body and base layer, which in the past has predisposed me to getting sick easily.

Seeing that there has been only one thread on sweat-wicking material since 2011, I wanted to throw to some questions here rather than search around old threads for potentially outdated info.

1) I was wondering how sweat-wicking material works. I mean, even if it wicks the sweat/perspiration away to the next layer, won't one still feel just as cold because of the dampness of that second layer?

2) Does such material it need to be skin-tight in order to wick moisture, or can it wick sweat without touching it? Should I buy a size smaller than normal? Extremely skin tight?...

3) Are there cool weather v.s. warm-weather wicking clothes (wicking clothes that expel moisture while keeping in heat v.s clothes that expel both moisture and heat)?

4) Do pretty much all brands work the same in terms of dryness? If not then what brands do you recommend? (I live near an EMS store, was considering their "techwick" brand.....)

Thanks in advance for any advice in helping me understand how/how well this stuff works.....