Old 12-02-13, 12:44 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Angelo
They are not well made.
+1.... Unfortunately, I wil have to agree....
They ride real well, but the "craftsmanship" was not really there even up to the 80's, despite having decals proudly stating "Brase' a la Main''" (Hand brazed) on the top tubes of their bikes...
Brazing gaps and lumps and bubbles at the lug/tube seams were the norm that was accompanied by uneven lug alignment and shaping, very rough filing marks and really thin spots on the paint finish.
Yes you can find good ones within a bunch of frames, but they more the exception, rather than the norm.... Took me about 8 months of visiting repeatedly (as new deliveries came in) the Peugeot dealer's shop to find a PSV with a well made frame back in 84, and the first one I found that looked good enough had to be returned for warranty replacement as after a few miles, the head tube inexplicably started to develop a bulge at the front. Good thing was, the owner of the shop located one with a very well made frame through his contacts at Peugeot USA.
I suspect that the quality of other Peugeot models were similar in general....