View Single Post
Old 12-03-13, 01:47 PM
SmallFront

Bikes: Bullitt Milk Plus with Alfine 11s; Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a white bike with white reflectors. I have decent lights (especially the one at the back), and I sometimes wear a helmet. I don't wear hi-viz clothing, and from a quick recollection of who does around my neighbourhood, the only people who wear hi-viz has blinking, dangling useless lights.

I use constant-on lights, as it allows for others (both motorists and bicyclists) to estimate distance. Further, I can swivel my head quite easily, and often do that a few extra times when I know I'm in a blind spot. I also try to make eye contact with drivers. I agree that mirrors are a distraction, not a help. Not because I just haven't "got used to them", but unlike in a car, I can actually swivel my head and see everything. I also look for shadows and light angles. A motorcyclist still swivel their heads, even if they have mirrors. Well, good motorcyclists. However, they are usually hunched down a bit more than I am on my bicycle, and at higher speeds, there is greater force to contend with on a motorcycle.
My point is that there is nothing I can see in a mirror that I can't see be swiveling my head/torso.

I know I'm new to this forum, but that attitude the OP is talking about was quick to rear its ugly head, and I happen to agree with him.

One last thing - about those "half the work force". Yes, but I bet those same people won't be wearing hi-viz when they privately drive down to the grocery shop, do teh school-run or whatever. Hell, most of the people you mention would need to wear hi-viz (by law) if crossing a parking lot. Will the guys who make that argument be wearing hi-viz for that eventuality too? Or how about walking around the city after dark? All the people you have mentioned would need hi-viz for that in their work. So, what about you? Why aren't you wearing hi-viz for that - oh, and bring some battery lights too, as road construction workers need to?

LOL, sorry, but I actually step off the bike once in a while if traffic is becoming too "blind" (low sun, for instance) and walk on the shoulder or even farther away if need be. Or, as I have done a couple of times: Simply wait it out.

Last edited by SmallFront; 12-03-13 at 01:52 PM. Reason: clarified a bit