View Single Post
Old 09-29-05, 08:16 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Strategy for a Sprint triathlon

I'm a fairly decent bike racer getting ready to do my first triathlon (sprint , 1/4 swim, 13 mile bike ride, 5k run). I'm trying to figure out pacing and strategy for the race. I'm a pathetic swimmer, and runner, but my bike split should be toward the top of my age group. While I have 6 weeks to work on the swim and run, I will likely still be the last guy out of the water, and will be painfully slow running.

My question is how hard should I go on the bike split. If it were a TT I would just go at a few beats above Lactate Threshold for the 13 miles. However I know that would leave me dead for the run. I'm thinking though that my only hope to make up any time is on the bike. Thus one strategy would be go all out on the bike, and then just survive the relatively short run. (figuring I can't get much slower than my already slow running pace.) Does this make sense or is it suicidal, not to hold back some for the run.