Old 12-04-13, 10:08 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I've mentioned this before about these graphs and calculators-in my experience and opinion, the suggested pressures are too low......
Everyone has hos own opinion about tire pressure, and each is entitled to his own. The tire drop analysis isn't about finding a magic ideal pressure, but the best pressure from the single standpoint of rolling resistance.

Things like having enough freeboard (rim/ground distance) to protect rims from bumps, handling, tire flex in cornering, and so on weren't factored.

OTOH, those concerned about these can adjust tire pressure or change tire width to address them. Finding one's personal ideal pressure is a matter of judgement based on experience. Guides like the tire drop chart are simply starting places.

One thing the data shows, along with other data from other sources, is that the lowest rolling resistance isn't necessarily with the narrowest tire, and many (most) riders can benefit from tires wider than the 23-35mm that has been dominant in recent years. Unfortunately too many frame builders haven't seen the light and a good portion of high end bikes cannot clear anything larger than 25mm.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.