Old 12-04-13, 10:27 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
I see your points, and in fact these graphs got me thinking about tire pressures that I had never really thought about before, but as you say

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Things like having enough freeboard (rim/ground distance) to protect rims from bumps, handling, tire flex in cornering, and so on weren't factored.
I do think its important to mention the aspects I brought up just so that someone with less riding experience is aware that the suggested pressures should be used as a guide, and in my opinion too low for real world riding, as we all have to deal with potholes and such.
Again, I did a lot of riding and touring and never really thought of tire pressures, just tended to put them to the high rating on the tire when I did pump them. Due to touring, I was usually more careful about lower pressures with the added weight, but when commuting they would invariably go down but never had pinch flats.

The thing that impresses me is how lower pressures can really change the comfort of a bike, and improve cornering too (compared to using the high end of tire pressures).
As you say, its great for riders to experiment with pressures and see how it feels.

PS, off topic-don't you find it kinda strange that someone is posting using a user name almost identical to yours? SBinNYC or something? I mean I dont know you, but the stuff you write seems to be helpful, well thought out and balanced (especially about chain lubes!) so while I havent really read things the sb fellow is writing, it still is a little odd.
cheers