Old 12-04-13, 03:22 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Have you considered spinal decompression? A friend has the machine and has treated other cyclists with good results.
He rides a recumbent, however, so what could he know?
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Hadn't. Was going to see a spine doc in the next few weeks. I've had a laundry list of stuff broken back there so I figure a look see might be in order.
Originally Posted by Cleave
I started having low back problems about 5 years ago. It got progressively worse through this past spring. Primary symptoms were persistent, but low intensity, back ache and numbness in the soles of my feet when I sat in a chair for more than 30 minutes. Considering I have a desk job, the numbness thing became a big issue. Why did I wait years? My back was fine while riding and racing.

Started with my Primary Care Physician who is not the greatest fan of cycling. He took a couple of x-rays and said I was pre-arthritic in my low back. I could:

1) Improve my posture
2) Do some exercises
3) Get some physical therapy
4) Take an Aleve every day

Basically he said I was getting old and that my cycling probably wasn't helping my back condition despite my saying that my back felt fine while riding. I asked about seeing a chiropractor and he said that would just make me feel better temporarily.

Decided to bite the financial bullet and went to see the chiropractor who is one of our club sponsors. He is also a cyclist and a once-in-a-while triathlete. He took more x-rays and said I am not pre-arthritic and that my hips were way out of whack and that was causing problems with my back and was probably causing my feet to go numb. Five months later, I have no problems sitting but my symptoms are a bit different. I still get some numbness when I stand in one place for say 5 minutes or longer. The numbness does not always happen when I stand like that and the numbness is not nearly as severe. No change in my ability to ride.

I am pretty happy so far with what he's done and it's certainly a better result and potential prognosis that what my PCP suggested.
The only thing you should have asked your PCP for is a referral to a physiatry, sports med, or spine clinic. One of the reasons I was as effed as I was is because I followed my PCP's instructions even when I should have asked for a referral. PCP's are awesome, but they have to concentrate on so many things that you need to get an opinion from a more qualified doctor if you're having issues that physical therapy doesn't resolve.

I let my crap go on for a year and a half before straight up asking for it and my prognosis would have been much better if I had done it earlier.

I have a lot of respect for PCP's but they're overworked and have main concerns relating to diabetes/cholesterol medication management. I know some amazing ones, but they're amazing especially because they know how to admit when there might be something more to the picture that someone else is better equipped to decipher.