MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ozonation
And can somebody explain the argument that helmet laws discourage potential cyclists?
Dallas is one of the few cities in the USA that has an all-age helmet law. Our neighbor city, Fort Worth does not. Ft Worth recently kicked off a bike-share program. These programs encourage cycling.
There are other ways helmet laws discourage cycling, but in this situation, Dallas will have a nearly insurmountable task of instituting a successful bike-share project, as long as the helmet law is on the books. Simply put, bike-shares thrive on spontaneity and people don't tend to carry helmets, just in case they decide to pick up a bike.

I'm a full-on helmet nanny. I don't throw a leg over one of my bikes without a helmet. This includes rides around the block while performing regular maintenance, in my driveway. Should everyone be forced to behave in this manner? Absolutely not. (I also install kickstands on all my bikes because I think they are convenient and useful. I certainly don't think everyone should be mandated to have a kickstand.)
I've been on several bicycle committees here in Dallas and have spoken out against the helmet law. There is no bicycle committee in Dallas, right now. However, in recent discussions with others involved in local bicycle advocacy, there is certainly a feeling that the helmet law will be challenged in the near future.