Old 09-29-05, 01:13 PM
Jacobino
Two Tired Traveler

Bikes: Miyata 15-speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Busking and touring go well together. If you have a small instrument you can take with you, or some other "talent" you can show off in the streets, it will help. I've also had some luck offering bike repairs in exchange for money or food.

I did a stint of tour guiding and English teaching for a few years in Italy--very fun, easy, sometimes lucrative, and you don't need a BA (or even a work permit) but you have to commit to staying in one place for a while. Virtually all of my "touring" was radial trips combining bike and train whenever I had a few days or weeks free. Luckily, it usually worked out that my schedule was open for most of September-October, when the weather was perfect and most of the tourists were gone.

Freelance travel writing usually doesn't cover the costs of your travels (although if you're doing something exceptional you might be able to publish a book about it and make a lot of money later, and I do know a woman in Rome who sometimes makes thousands of Euro a month writing for upscale magazines--but she's well-connected).

I've published some of my travel writing for a pittance, and then "gained" hundreds of dollars in a tax write-off. (Don't do this without reading up on the laws, or contacting a lawyer). I don't know how this works outside the U.S.