Old 12-09-13, 09:23 PM
Bandrada
Banned.

Bikes: ...

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6591 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 334 Posts
Wow, those are gorgeous welds. So envious of this kind of talent. I've been looking for someone local to repair a cracked chainstay for me, but no one will touch it since there isn't a heat treating facility nearby. One of my friends offered to hack a commercial oven, and there was some talk of building a big assed bonfire. The problem would be staging it down to room temperature. The suggestion was, if I remember correctly, 15 or so mins at the upper limit, then another 15 mins at somewhere in the mid 200* F range, then finally room temperature. I'm not sure on the numbers. I guess this is the critical process to maintain the best integrity. I also heard rumors of a chemical treating process, but I don't know how credible that information was. I've been thinking about calling Sherwood at Ventanna to do the work. I found another chain stay, but I wouldn't thing twice about repairing the old one as a spare if the opportunity ever presented itself. I also have a chain stay that I'd like to shorten to correct some funky geometry. I guess I should have invested in steel!