Old 12-11-13, 10:50 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Final tension adjustment is potato chipping my wheel

I'm rebuilding a pair of wheels with the same model Kinlin XR 200 rims, just new. Actually just transferring everything to the new rim except using new nipples. I'm pretty sure I had the old rear wheel higher spoke tension side at about 120 kgf, but I can't get the new one over about 100 kgf without the wheel potato chipping. Because I am building with a 16:8 spoke design, my tensions on the two sides are nearly identical, so I don't need the 120 on the high side to have a decent tension on the low side. About 100 kgf on both sides would still be better than most builds realize on the low tension side. So some questions. Am I doing something wrong? Do I just have a weak rim? Never had this problem with XR 200s before, but I think this one is on the light side of the specification (371 g vs. nominal of 385 g). Should I just be happy with the 100 kgf and be done with it? Thanks for any help you guys can provide.