View Single Post
Old 12-11-13, 08:23 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I used to be annoyed that when we get our one snow event of the year the city only plows the roads that no one wants to ride on and totally ignores our bike paths. This year, after we got a nice dense foot of snow last week and below freezing temperatures for the next week to keep the frozen stuff around, the city has exhausted its snow removal budget and hasn't removed so much as one flake from the roadways, just applied a bit of sand. So, motorists and cyclists are being treated alike: both of us are ignored.

Although I often mention that I much prefer my water in liquid form, this has been a great week. For a few days, the cars slowed down to civilized speeds, even if they occasionally rolled up onto the sidewalks, so they've been relatively quiet. It was wonderful to walk and ride along the river where the freeway goes overhead and to only hear an occasional soft shush from a motorist going twenty miles per hour.

It all ends tomorrow, though. Sleet, then rain means the frozen stuff is headed for the river and we can get back to normal.

Edit: Well, I spoke too soon. This rare venture into negative Fahrenheit temperatures has caused a water main to burst and further damage a rather beaten-up portion of the main bike path between my house and the university. It's closed for the foreseeable future and likely won't be the highest priority for repair.

Last edited by B. Carfree; 12-11-13 at 11:52 PM.