Old 12-13-13, 12:15 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Not at all. I don't see where you could have drawn that from ether! I have a problem with government waste and corruption. Since I actually pay taxes... I prefer to think my hard earned income will be but to decent use after it is collected as a tax. I think there was many solid ideas in the last couple centuries that should be retained in modern society. But to march forward with antiquated ideas "just because"... or because of a lack of vision or acceptance of new ideas is needless waste.

I worked a career in government and fully understand that ALL programs are temporary. Although some programs seem to have very long useful lives... such as the Department of Defense.... even it was born from the old War Department. Even if no one reading this forum today has the vision to see beyond the transportation needs of today.... that will not negate the true needs of tomorrow. My past experience has shown me that when politicians speak of the "future success" of any given program it is because insiders have already determined the program to have failed.

I don't know if the bike share programs will benefit the poor... or mostly serve as a tourist-ride in summer months. It doesn't really matter. But since these types of programs are almost always also run on the very fringes regulated of government.... reasoned taxpayers immediately wonder about corruption.

In simple terms: Yeah... I agree with the OP. Most bike share programs are created to benefit the politicians that promote them... and nothing more.
You lost me, Dave.

But no problem, I'm sure your post makes a great deal of sense to others I just don't happen to be one of them.