Old 12-14-13, 08:52 AM
gadabout007
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sticky brake cables

last two rides I've experienced issues with my brake cables. Both front and rear, but the rear is more extreme.

After about two hours in -5 to -7° celsius, my brake cables seem to get sticky in the housing. When I release the brakes the front brake slowly opens and the rear releases the tension, but continues to drag on the brake track. At stops I'm having to reach back and manually open the brake. It's definitely the cable or housing. If I squeeze the caliper together by hand it snaps right back when I let go. After warming up indoors for a bit the brakes behave normally.

Cables and housing were replaced this spring and are the same brand that were previously on the bike. I've rode in much colder temperatures and never had this problem.

I took the cables out and blew out the housing with compressed air thinking there may be water in the housing that's freezing, but that didn't solve the problem.

I've ordered some T9 waterproof lube as a last resort so we'll see if that fixes the problem next week.

Could this just be a bum set of cables/housing? The cable itself looks perfect, no rust or fraying, but I obviously can't inspect the inside of the cable housing.