View Single Post
Old 12-14-13, 10:09 AM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
You might have some moisture freeze where slush is thrown up on places like that little plastic thingy under the bottom bracket. But a tug on your shifter should solve that. Other than that, as long as no moisture gets into your cable housing, you should do fine.
One thing that could happen depending on the weather you end up encountering is having trouble 'keeping the chain on'. I had it happened to me locally last winter. I had ridden 6 miles into town after a snow storm. Everything was fine. I went to turn into a parking lot to go back to the grocery store and all of a sudden my chain started skipping on me left and right. I was puzzled. I wasn't trying to shift or anything but the chain was skipping. I hadn't had any problems to that point. I looked down and saw what the problem was. My cassette was caked in snow and the chain had nothing to 'bite' into. I got off the bike and fortunately I had the allen set with me and I was able to use it to knock the snow out the cassette so the chain could rest/ride on the teeth once again. Make sure and take something with you that is small enough, width wise, to go between the teeth of the cassette or you may get left stranded someplace thanks to riding in snowy weather.