Old 12-14-13, 11:28 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I don't think it matters how many people I think are looking for housing close enough to walk to the game or the local shooting gallery. What matters is that the folks putting on the game are attempting to normalize dependence on motor vehicles.

Here's something that may illustrate why I think this matters: A decade ago, my son decided to play in the scholastic national chess championship tournament. It was held in Nashville, TN. A large number of other players, including many of his friends, were staying at the same hotel as we were which was less than a mile from the playing site. The first day, which involved an odd game of double chess called bughouse, we were the only people who walked from the hotel to the playing site; everyone else drove. Later that evening, a few other players joined us to walk over for the blitz tournament. By the end of the four-day event, almost everyone at our hotel was walking back and forth several times each day.

People are mostly sheeple. They will go along with whatever seems normal. Since my son was the best player from his state in attendance, the other players who knew him were happy to follow his lead. If the playing site were to prohibit pedestrian access, then none of us would have been able to enjoy the means of transportation that has been the default means of mobility since before humans were humans: walking.
Good illustration. I think all public attractions and venues should be accessible to walkers, especially those funded by taxpayers, many of whom do not drive.

One exception would be the Statue of Liberty.

"Think Outside the Cage"