View Single Post
Old 12-16-13, 06:56 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
It is a lesson in biochemistry to know how this all works...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_respiration

Quite simply, insulin converts glucose into ATP (energy) but excess gets stored as adipose tissue (fat).

My wife just checked the scale and she is down 7 more pounds in the past three weeks... when she was in college studying biochemistry they were still teaching that the human body could not produce it's own glucose without carbs but this has now been shown to be false.
Yes, I was familiar with the respiration thing -- I got a lesson in it from the statin I've been taking when it reduced my levels of Q10 (which is necessary for the mitochondria to produce ATP) and I had no strength. As soon as I added a Q10 supplement, I got strong enough to pull a muscle (probably the medial glut)... My next step is to get off of the statin -- but I'm still waiting for the doctor to call me back on that one...

Tell your wife congrats on the weight loss. But also be careful -- she is losing a lot of weight very quickly. So, while too much weight is bad, losing it too quickly is not good either...