View Single Post
Old 12-16-13, 07:18 PM
BikeCultureGuy
Ride More. Feel Better.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes! Good health is a GREAT reason to commute by bike.

Originally Posted by buzzman
Since you seem to be looking for the more off beat reasons that we bike commute I'll add this one, and it's not how or why I started commuting by bike but it motivates me now- BLOOD PRESSURE.

I seldom take time off from the bike but a couple of years ago I had a back injury that had me off the bike for several weeks for the first time in decades. My BP went from low/normal to high/normal in no time. As soon as I was back on the bike, down it went.

I am convinced that without my bike commutes I would definitely be on medications to control my BP- the personal cost and cost to the health care system of that alone probably represents more of a savings than many more obvious ones.
Absolutely! Good health (physical AND mental) is a major reason why many more people should get off their couches and onto their bikes!

This is especially important as you get older (I am 51) and start hearing from your doctor that the "bad" numbers are creeping up as the "good" numbers are dropping.

The exercise you get by riding a bike (on a regular basis) does wonders for your health numbers. And it's cheap, simple, accessible, and fun.