Old 12-20-13, 05:04 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Never done the PCH ride, heard it's a big peloton hauling ass. Cleave could fill you in on it, I think.
Done the Mt Wilson ride 14 times. Can be very cold, or windy, or nice. Sometimes there is too much ice/snow to go to Skyline Park. Sometimes pros will show up, sometimes knuckleheads will have personal sag blocking traffic.
Originally Posted by Fat Boy
It's a little bit of a weird ride. If you stay at the front, though, it's fine. There will be some pros / former pros on the nose. In the back, you barely have to pedal the draft is so big, but it's SKETCH-BALL! There can be up to several hundred riders, so abilities vary wildly.

It's basically like riding any masters race. Stay at the front and have fun. If you drift back, then you just have to move up. People play some stupid centerline games to move up and that never really impresses me.

The better part of the ride is after the Dana Point stop. 1/2 the group will turn back towards Long Beach (in small groups) and 1/2 will cut inland. The inland group is the 'real' ride. There will be a couple places where the speeds are high, but generally it's more controlled and a little more sane/fun. You might actually get the chance to talk to someone once you turn inland.
Hi, I've done the ride about a half dozen times but I haven't done it in at least 6 years. I've never done the full ride because 100 miles on New Year's Day is too much for me, so I can't comment on how it goes past Dana Point. I agree with Fat Boy about the front and back and the centerline games. I'll add that there's some aggressive riding at the front by guys who either want to stay at the front or don't want you at the front. Also, at least back when I did it, the pack just blows through stop lights and sometimes takes up two or three lanes instead of just one.

However, the speed is amazing for a ride on regular streets. Long Beach to Laguna Beach is about 25 miles and it takes less than an hour. I understands the entire ride is less than 4 hours, even though part of the inland route is on a bike path along a flood control channel.

I keep thinking of trying the ride again (just to Dana Point or less), but I haven't convinced myself that it would be fun prior to the turnaround.

Originally Posted by Racer Ex
He might not.

He's got a nerd job and is a bike racing nerd; the app he wrote and is selling is nerd squared and isn't going to make him rich.

The odds of him getting laid, let alone finding a long term relationship is speculative at best. Don't be afraid to short that stock.

Of course, there's always this:

FWIW, I've been married for 27 years. My wife is awesome. But I'm not disputing the premise.
For a moment I thought you were talking about me 25 years ago. I did have an annual date when I was single. Thankfully, I managed to find someone who is awesome and in our old age is a better athlete than I.

Originally Posted by substructure
I had to sell both bikes and everything with them. I was down to practically nothing.

My ex did a number on our finances. I lost both cars and almost my home. Honestly, I was at a point where I had to take me and the girls to my brothers place for a while to live. But I kept digging and staying on top of things. I'm not out of the water by any stretch, but my head is above the surface and I can tread a lot easier. Both my girls smile. They text me randomly to tell me they love me. That's when I know I'm doing right. That's what keeps me going.

So, when it's time to "ride" again, I'll have to get a cheap beater and just start pedaling. I'm actually looking forward to it. No pressure. Just enjoyment.
Excellent!
Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at http://www.lawville.org/