Old 12-22-13, 04:54 PM
Italia1970

Bikes: Trek FX 7.7 2013

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lanovran
I work at a Trek dealer, and this kind of question comes up very often, so perhaps I can help. The 7.4 and 7.5 are in somewhat different categories of fitness hybrid. The 7.4 is at the upper end of what would be considered distance/commuting bikes in the series, with more comfort features and upgrades from the 7.3 and 7.2, such as the carbon fork, ergo IsoZone grips, nicer componentry, etc., while still having the triple chainring that may help with hilly rides (especially if carrying cargo) and slightly wider tires for a bit more cushion. As others have mentioned, it does also have the option of hydraulic disc brakes, if that's a potential factor.

The 7.5, with lighter and faster road wheels, E2 tapered headtube for improved handling, and the IsoZone elastomer on the seat stay for vibration dampening, along with the 2x9 gearing, is the first in more of a "fitness" category: what could be thought of as a "flat-bar road bike," designed for riders who don't want a true road bike, but are still looking for a quick and sporty ride. It is lighter and more efficient overall compared to the 7.4, but the difference there may not be enough to notice if you're doing only about 40 miles a week.

In all, either bike would suit you very well. If you have particularly hilly climbs to worry about, then the gearing on the 7.4 may be of benefit to you, especially if you're considering putting a rack on there and carrying stuff along with you (e.g. commuting, light touring, etc.). If it's all about the workout, then the 7.5 is a very nice choice as, again, it's designed to be more about sport and fitness. In any case, I'd recommend taking both for a test ride if possible, and going from there. Best of luck to ya!

Hi,

I'm looking at 2014 Trek 7.5 and 7.6 in Toledo, OH.

In my ignorant opinion I am not sure if the 4 different upgrades justify the price differential.

I think the brakes and drive train would add value, but I don't see it in the race seat post and lighter stem, as I have no intention of racing.

The 7.5 is $900, the 7.6 is $1050.

What do you think of the component differential based on how I would use the bike(fitness)?

Does the upgrade justify the price differential?

How firm do you think these prices are and how much would they really sell each bike for?

I thank you for any knowledge you could provide regarding my question and any other issues I should consider.

Thanks,

John

Last edited by Italia1970; 12-22-13 at 05:00 PM.