Old 12-23-13, 12:57 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mstraus
I have been running two recently, but I now run 3 lights after realizing the problems with my original single light setup. For reference my ride is a mix of urban streets that are generally well lit, Suburban and even somewhat "rural" streets varying between well lit and poorly lit, and MUPs that are generally poorly lit to totally dark.

I started with one 700 Lumen handlebar light. Worked great in solid at night, but if I tried to use the flash, day or night, it was obnoxiously bright except maybe in foggy conditions. The light flashing off signs, etc bothered me almost as much as others who saw my light. As it got dark the flashing got more irritating to me, so can only imagine what others thought.

I then added a second handlebar light, an inexpensive 25 lumen light, that is really a "be seen" light only. I have no problem putting this in flash mode in the day and could even use in night if I really want to get someones attention. I typically don't use flash at night, but in certain situations I have (usually while passing slow/stopped traffic in the bike lane to try to get drivers attention so they hopefully don't pull into the bike lane or making last minute right turns, etc). In really dark areas I might put it on solid pointed down while my larger light points further forward.

My Main light gets angled up and down and switched between power level depending on the situation. Main reason to put down is to avoid blinding people on MUP, etc. I typically use this in flash in foggy conditions, occasionally will put on solid or flash in higher traffic areas, etc

I now also got a helmet light, light and motion vis360+. This will give me the "high low" that other posters mentioned, as well as give me a higher light in the rear. I can also use it to signal my intentions, get drivers attention, look around etc. I expect I will typically use it in solid, maybe flashing in some situations in the day.

I applaud you for seeing the benefit of running mutliple bright lights in traffic.. I respectfully disagree with your "it was obnoxiously bright".. A post in the Safety forum compared riding in traffic to combat. I won't go so far as to do that, but riding in traffic is a whole different ball game. Rush hour traffic and at night time is even worse..IMO, we must be seen to even have a chance in that kind of environment.

I ride with two 1200 rate plus or higher lums up front. and sometimes even back those two with a 500+lum helmet light. Running a Hotshot Cygolite USB on the back of the helmet, and a Sefras USB mounted on the seatpost. During the day, I am running one of the lights up front on strong blinky, with one of the rear lights running too. I know you know the respect you get when running those bright lights up front. The "cut in front or pull out in front" is almost non-existent when running strong blinky lights up front. At night, and mainly on my return leg of the commute, which is in traffic and dark, up front I am running one light on blinky, the other on solid. the helmet light acts like a horn too, and it works on curves..

All of the above is what I do in knock-down-balls out rush-hour traffic, mostly at night too. I would not recommend any of the above for MUPs or bike trails..Maybe a tiny small lum blinky up front might be okay for MUP or trails, that I don't know, because 97% of my riding is on the street with traffic..

Again, with the traffic, keep the lights strong...