View Single Post
Old 12-25-13, 11:44 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by clrux
@Ridefreemc I normally ride with a 30 liter pack now, which I like. But I'd like the option to use racks later, when I start aging and can't or don't want a backpack. Fenders are a must on both front and back. I'm in Boston, very far from Florida :-) How would you compare the Aurora to the Cross Check? Again, they seem pretty similar save parts, which Aurora has better. And I'd probably switch the fenders on it after reading how awful they were.
@rekmeyata While that Ti bike is a awesome looking, it's about $700 out of my range. I'm hoping to spend around $1000, plus I'll need to get fender and pedals most likely.

That Ti bike makes me drool though lol.
rekmeyata says it best below. It really depends on what you want the bike for. Yes, one inch longer wheelbase does make a lot of difference, especially when coupled with the geometry and things like a lower bottom bracket height. I prefer the solid as a rock, straight line feel of my Velo Orange Campeur. If I need to go off road (gravel and light sand) I have no issue. I won't be racing thats for sure. I know for me the off road part is less than 1% so no need to go there.

As I said before the Jamis bikes are great values (yes - you'd likely do better with SKS fenders though - sell the others on CL). As he said too I like the Elite for the little extra cash.

Sounds like I went through the same thought process as you trying to find a bike that does it all. In the end I have a bike that does the vast majority of what I want, but not "all." I am happy!

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I think the Aurora is the better bike of the two but only by a fraction. The geometry of the Aurora has a bit longer wheelbase than the Cross Check which means it will be more comfortable on the road going longer distances. A cross bike is a cross bike, not really designed for long touring rides but they can and have been used for that purpose, but the intent of that bike is to ride in shorter rides combining street with some mildly rough stuff. If after the tour you want a bike to do cross riding then the Surly will be more suited for that with shorter stays and shorter wheelbase and higher bottom bracket thus the Surly will have slightly better handling when unloaded. The Aurora has a lower bottom bracket which makes the bike more stable with panniers and easier to maintain a line and better at higher speeds going down grades thus you'll be more relaxed riding it when loaded. So the two will ride differently loaded and unloaded. And since the Cross Check does have a shorter wheelbase you have to buy smaller panniers then you would have to with the Aurora. Both will do great as a commuter bike. Decisions, decisions!