Old 12-27-13, 06:55 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jodphoto
I'm 62 and just finished my first season riding fixed gear. The bike is none too pretty but has become my favorite ride. I built it just to try fixed gear out and see if I would like it. It's a parts bin special based on a 90's CRMO Taiwan Raleigh with 27" wheels (40 spoke rear). I flipped the bars into the DUI position and installed platform pedals. I run a front brake with a reverse lever on the bar end. I used a BB lock ring with some blue threadlocker to hold the cog on. The gearing is 46/18 and it's good ratio for me. The only parts I had to purchase were the cog, brake lever and antomical seat. I ride Rails to Trails a lot and local streets. The bike is none too pretty but has become my daily ride. The Kenda Knobbies and big pedals are for winter.

Well, I love it. I won't pile on the Zen but it IS a different feel. I got used to it and ultimately prefer the fixie ride. It's smooth and quiet. After the first few hours, your body just gets it. You no longer attempt to coast inadvertently and your legs begin to think in both directions. Yes, you DO become one with the bike. I can't do track stands, skid stops, hops and such. I do a lot more pedaling standing up, though. This bike is right for my age group. We were the counterculture, remember? Iconoclastic bikes make sense, don't they?

I'm in the process of building another one out of an 85 League Fuji, light steel, all silver. This one I will try to make cooler than the first. Not hipster cool, old guy cool. I want to use all the original parts (except freewheel). I saw a picture of an old Diacompe lever cabled in reverse so I'll see if I can make that. The bars will be flipped and clipped Nitto Randonneurs which have a nice subtle curves. The gearing will be 52/20 to start because the big ring looks vintage cool and the extra teeth all around add to the smoothness. I'll start with the original seat but may change it after the pictures.

I'll post some pictures soon.

Do post some pics. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Your reaction is exactly what I try to explain to people. There is nothing I like better than a ride on my fixie on a warm, humid summer night.
As far as the "hipster thing", I think that kind of died off. The Hipsters, at least in my area, would seem to have moved on to something else.