Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Incredibly helpful, thanks!
Originally Posted by adrien
I've three pairs of wheels with deep dish alloy rims:

Deep V / Ultegra, 36 3x rear and 28 2x front. Second pari, built up as winter wheels. First pair wore out at 12,000 miles. Very solid, very reliable, very boring wheels. Deep Vs are on the soft side, and the seam is not great. Retired the first set at 12 k because the braking surface was shot. Not my favorite wheels, except I like riding them for a while so I feel like a pro when I put my main summer set back on.

DT 585 / DA hubs, 32, 3x front and rear. Rims are very nicely built, very even braking surface, nice seam. These should go a very long time. A little more lively than the Deep Vs, hold tension better and more round out of the box. Heavy, but don't feel it on the bike. DA is eerie -- smoooooth and silent. Got the dark silver finish -- very pretty.

Ambrosio FCS28 / CK R45, 32, 3x front and rear, with CX-ray spokes. Holy W$%^@$. Don't buy into the notion that clyde wheels can't be lively. Loys of responsiveness to power (that's the r45s mostly), a nice mix of strength and a bit of spring (CX rays) and the prettiest deep rims I've seen. The Ambroisios have a spoke anchor layer BELOW the surface of the V of the rim. This makes them very strong, and the "point" of the V can be much char per as a result. Also, best braking surface I've ever used. Just had these looked at after 2,500 miles. Zero wear visible.