View Single Post
Old 12-29-13, 03:23 PM
jodphoto

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Grand Prix fixie,85 League Fuji w/ flat bars, 87 Cannondale ST400, League Fuji Fixie, Raleigh Pursuit Fixie, 93 Cannondale M500, Kabuki Submariner 12, 90 Fuji Suncrest, Peugeot Mixte project

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Skid stopping, by its very nature, is less efficient than a caliper brake on the front wheel, and by definition involves a degree of loss of control. If you're riding a fixed gear to "look cool" you may find it appropriate, if not adequate. But a front caliper brake is highly advisable. There's no law requiring you to use the caliper if you're inclinded to the "coolness" of a skid stop, but having it available may save you from serious injury or death at some point.
FG riding on the road with MVs and peds is hairy at best. I have decided to run a front brake on my fixie if only to keep the word "moron" out of my epitaph. Those intrepid young cyclists who run brakeless have more years to live down their bad decisions and they heal faster than we older riders. Still, I fear for their safety. I'll just continue to endure the stigma of a front brake. But alas, my whip doesn't have that minimalist coolness.