Old 12-29-13, 03:28 PM
howeeee
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Skid stopping, by its very nature, is less efficient than a caliper brake on the front wheel, and by definition involves a degree of loss of control. If you're riding a fixed gear to "look cool" you may find it appropriate, if not adequate. But a front caliper brake is highly advisable. There's no law requiring you to use the caliper if you're inclinded to the "coolness" of a skid stop, but having it available may save you from serious injury or death at some point.
Yea yea you are looking at it from a very narrow point of view. The point is not what will stop you better, I ride my fixie with a front brake, at 60 I will never learn what these kids learn at 14 to 30 years old. It is more than just riding without a brake, they do tricks they couldnt do with a front brake. It is a different complete way of riding without a brake. They can manuver their bikes with such precise movement they can make up for being without a brake. A brake changes the entire sport and it is a separate sport, they do races, have trick riding rodeo's . Saying a brake would save lives is like saying if tackling is not allowed in college football it would save lives, yea but then it is no longer football as it is played. When it comes to sports and activities, putting everything up to safety would put an end to most of it, including bicycling on the road with cars, with or without a brake.

I certainly respect your choice to ride with a brake as I respect a young persons choice to ride without one.

Last edited by howeeee; 12-29-13 at 03:44 PM.