View Single Post
Old 12-30-13, 01:24 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by kuriousoranj
Yes, I'm pretty sure those rims are compatible with canti brakes.

Mconclonx - I am planning to do the work myself. I'm somewhat of an amateur, but I've stripped and rebuilt a couple of bikes in my time, so feel fairly confident that I'll not have much issue building this.

The frame I'm going to build up is a surly cross check and has horizontal drop outs so should fit fine.

I agree that if I was to offer the whole build to my lbs I might stand to save money, but I'll be buying parts as and when they come available to me (i.e. When I find more money / stuff on eBay), so I'm almost certainly best off building it myself.

My main point was weather the wheels alone were best built by a local wheelbuilder, or ordered complete, as per the ones in the link.

Thanks again, Jack.
In that case, I'd order online. Unless there's something about the built wheels you don't like which would be addressed in a custom build by a local shop -- DB spokes, rim upgrade, anodized nipples...

"Best built" depends on who built them or at least did QC for the wheels online, vs experience and skill of whoever would build them for you at a local shop.