palu
Goathead magnet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
question about gravel bikes:

I have a Pake C'mute steel cross/commuter that I built up as a mutt with random parts. it weighs a ton (at least it does to me, 150 pounds of skin and bones)! It has friction 2x9 shifting. I mostly use if for commuting to work but I also take it on long road rides and I would like to do some gravel grinders starting with the Texas Chainring Massacre in January. This bike can handle 40mm+ tires but I think it's overkill. I do not have the space or the budget for multiple bikes, so I need a true do-all bike that can handle the above duties. I have a mountain bike for true off-road riding.

I would like to get a more road-ish bike that can handle a rear rack for commuting, but will take some gravel-worthy tires for the occasional gravel race. I have been eyeing the Novara Verita and, as an REI employee, I can get a great deal on it. I can probably sell my C'Mute and get a Verita with that money. the Verita should be able to handle 28mm tires with the included fenders and I think I can get some 32mm knobbies in there without fenders. I am going to experiment with that today. the medium Verita has a 540mm ETT, 70.5° HA and a 73° SA. that's a slack HA! if 32mm knobbies fit in that frame and fork, would the geo of that bike be suitable for the occasional gravel race, or would the handling suck?
If the Verita deal doesn't work out, I'd suggest a Black Mountain road frame. Supposed to fit 33's. For brakes, Paul Racer brakes can be used for the fatter tires.