View Single Post
Old 01-01-14, 03:44 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Yes, I know correlation is not causation, but brain injuries and deaths due to such have increased by something like 70% over the past decade, as has helmet use by skiers. Perhaps this is merely a cultural change involving riskier exploits, which may or may not be related to helmet use. Or, perhaps, there is something to the torsional effects of helmets argument.

Now, off to the helmet sticky with this one.
It might simply be a shift in recognition and diagnosis. While the diagnosis of death has alays been pretty good, that on non fatal head injuries has undergone a sea change in terms of recognition. Many more minor concussions that previously wouldn't have been reported now are, which creates the illusion of increased incidence.

It's hard to factor the impact of the change in protocols, so it might make sense to compare deaths only.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.