Old 01-01-14, 09:01 PM
rtool

Bikes: 2014 ICE Spring FSX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
Mack Truck drivers "Bull" through traffic while the bicycle rider "sneaks". The trucker demands the right of way, but bicycle rider concedes it quickly. The truck driver assumes everyone sees him, the bicycle rider assumes she's Invisible.
To be a safe and successful inner city motorcyclist/bicylist you must combine these elements,
both these contrasting approaches must be practiced at all times.

We've all been told to "Ride defensively" but If you do only that you will get pushed around, ignored and possibly run over. The aggressive rider is in equal danger for different reasons, he doesn't realize that car drivers constantly make mistakes.

You must find a balance, Occupy your space like the truck driver, but concede like the bicyclist.
THE TRUCK:
Making yourself visible as a truck is a fascinating objective, involving mirrors, lane position, vehicle type, driver type, blind spots, road conditions, following distances, clothing, head light, mental outlook and even the time of day.
BE CONSPICUOUS while believing nobody sees you-ever. You must learn to make yourself seen.
THE BYCYCLE:
You can pretend your a truck but your really a bicyclist. Act like the truck but never insist on your right of way,
Always give way when your challenged,,, ALWAYS.

When someone cuts you off don't get pissed and take action against them, be calm and move on. Use your skill and move away, other people will not see a near miss, only a pissed off cyclist. Better yet let them see a skilled, calm, cool, expert Biker. You want respect on the Mean streets,,, Earn it.

Odd, I just don't have close calls, really I swear.
I have moments where I'm challenged, when I get real busy on the bike, In traffic..

Just sayin,,,,
Excellent words. I have tried to live by them for over 60 years and so far have only been hit once, and it was very minor. As is taught by The League of American Bicyclists: Follow the law, be Predictable, conspicuous, think ahead, ride ready. LCI #3541 .