View Single Post
Old 01-03-14, 05:38 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Below zero is uncharted territory for me. Cold air around my eyes, glasses fogging then freezing... these become an issue when it gets into single digits. Tentative forecast for next week is -15.

Originally Posted by bluegoatwoods
I'm still pretty happy at 10 deg F. I've ridden as low as minus 5 or so…Icing glasses

Originally Posted by Engineer
..,So far the coldest I have ridden in is -2*F, tomorrow is supposed to be -6*F…Right now the only thing I am struggling with is something to cover my nose/cheeks without fogging up my glasses.
Right now (about 6:00 AM), due to scheduling conflicts, I'm sitting out probably the most severe winter challenge I've encountered in decades of year-round cycle commuting for my 14 mile one-way route in Boston--over a foot of newly-fallen snow at 3°F. My routes are well plowed, so it would have been doable on my Marathon Winter studded tires. My personal record low is about 0°F.

Nonetheless, I wanted to reply with one link and another one FYI to two recent of many perennial posts about eyeglass fogging. I cannot ride without prescription eyeglasses, and the fogging problem might have been my main obstacle to winter riding, but my adaptation has been very successful.

One other comment, especially when suggesting various solutions for winter riding problems. I often recommend on such threads that the poster define their riding conditions, especially distance, as well as temperature to better evaluate the experience. In fact I further tout this definition from the thread ”What's the minimum qualifying distance for a cold-temperature ride?” of a cold ride, in which one’s water bottle freezes (solid), a function of both temperature and distance (time on the road). For my 14 mile commute, this occurs at about 15°F.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-03-14 at 08:31 AM.