View Single Post
Old 01-03-14, 08:09 AM
Duane Behrens

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac (carbon), Specialized Roubaix (carbon, wifey), Raleigh Super Course (my favorite), and 2 Centurion project bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FD: High-Normal vs. Low-Normal

1980 Nishiki road bike. The 2-cog front derailleur is designed and spring loaded in such a way as to return the chain to the LARGE (not small) front chain ring as its detente position . . . i.e. "high-normal." In this way, the rider was able to move the shift levers the same direction to upshift and downshift on both the front and rear mechanisms.

It didn't catch on, and those "High-Normal" FDs aren't seen any more. A look at the photo below may explain why: the FD cage is hopelessly worn - even bent - from years of rubbing. I'm going to change it over to standard "low-normal" setup (no choice, really), but am wondering what challenges I'll run into regarding cable routing, cable stops, etc. The frame is at the paint shop now, so any new cable stops would have to be clamp-ons, IF I can find them. Thanks - here's a pic of the old FD. It's stamped "SunTour" and "Spirt" (not "spirit" or "sprint").

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FD2.jpg (78.5 KB, 61 views)