Old 01-03-14, 09:25 AM
FatBottomedGirl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Impact of wheels?

Hi!

This may be a stupid question, but until one has really experienced it, it is tough to imagine...

How do wheels alter the behavior of a bike?
Behind the ridicule of the question, I actually mean: I see on online stores hundreds of road wheels at various prices what does it change?
How does a 2000$ wheelset differ from a 400$ one of from the stock wheels sold usually with bikes?

I understand the weight might be a key feature: I myself experienced changing tyres from 450g to 230g which does not seem a lot until one steps on the pedal...
The same applies, I suppose, for wheel as it is, just like tires, moving weight which makes it even more important.

But what else?

My real question underneath is that I have my rear rim that starts to show some serious wear and I am considering to start to look for a possible replacement...

My current wheels are stock SHIMANO RS-10 that came with my CAAD 10 which look like entry level wheels. What would an upgrade "feel" like?

Understand that I am not as much in the urgency to get the replacement as much as I am curious about the difference it can actually make.

Thank you all!