View Single Post
Old 01-04-14, 12:31 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Around here we got our cold weather last month. We almost set a new record low when it reached -10F; the record is -12F. It was glorious since the city doesn't have the equipment to deal with snow removal, so the motorists were confounded for a few days. It was nice and quiet, even near the freeway, as people drove much less and did so at much lower than normal speeds. Unfortunately, it's almost all melted and gone now.

About those pro wood burning comments. UGH! I don't know about what happens back east, but here on the west coast when we have cold weather we also have high pressure systems and minimal air mixing. That means that all that soot and those particulates that people pump into the air by burning wood stay put until they are bio-filtered out by someone's lungs (yes, I exaggerate). Last month, my city was in violation of the federal clean air act for about half the month. Our local air pollution district wouldn't even ban burning even though we had very few power outages. They were concerned that people's utility bills would be too high if they were not allowed to burn. Talk about externalizing costs! Burning wood in an urban/suburban environment is barbaric, IMO.