Old 01-04-14, 11:59 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I'd be very surprised if an auto parts place has the proper insert for bike pedals, which are kinda odd in threading.
The RH 9/16"x20 used to be a popular spark plug size. Some 30 years ago I was able to convince one of the makers to introduce a bike kit, which they did for me at reasonable quantities because they were already 1/2 way there with the automotive kit, and wire. All they neede to do was make the LH tap, and wind the spring backward. I bought these 25 kits per order for years, until a fer mergers and acquisitions made the a tiny division of a large company that couldn't be bothered with this nonsense.

However the kit is only part of the deal. Not that many home mechanics have a power drill that can handle 9/16" drills or reamers. Some of the "repair" kits use a tap with a reamer built in (the ones I sold) but others don't.

BTW- so the OP has an idea, what would this run at the kitchen?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.