Old 10-01-05, 01:56 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyGrow
We found a brand new KHS Milano tandem at a bike shop only 2 hours away. Size Large (what we need). I have not seen the bike, but the bike shop tells me it has a minor/small dent in the drive (L) side seatstay. They say it isn't something that will fail structurally (sp?).
Get a digital photo and send it to a frame shop that deals with tandems, e.g., Kool Bikes in Clemson, SC, etc... Sometimes a dent in a steel tube is no big deal so long as it's not in a critical or stressed location. A dab of bondo and touch up paint takes care of the cosmetics if that's of concern. However, I'd definitely want to ensure that the full warranty comes with the bike so you at least know what you're paying for. If it doesn't then I'd want at least a 1 year replacement guarantee limited to the affected tube. If they're not willing to do that and your frame shop says the dent could be an issue that cannot be corrected for minimal cost I'd pass. Above all else, you want piece of mind when riding a tandem and the last thing I want to worry about is the frame.