Old 01-06-14, 07:14 PM
PolarBear007
Touring Enthusiast

Bikes: 23" Schwinn High Plains, 20" Trek 830 Antelope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re-Powder Coating a Vintage MTB for touring - WHAT COLOR?!?

OK, so the title says it all!

I have a 1990 Schwinn High Plains with the cool black-and-silver web paint design (very nice....when in like-new condition). Unfortunately, there are more than a few large coating chips and the decals are, in places, very scuffed/gouged.

As a result of the bikes less-than-ideal condition, I'm considering stripping the frame/forks and having it powder-coated (as I attempt to update components).

Currently, here's how the bike appears:

The back rack is black (a nice Topeak "Super Tourist DX Disc") and I'd like to mount a Surly "Nice" front rack (which is also black). One day I'd like to upgrade the Topeak rack with the Surly "Nice" back rack (which also is black), the fenders are black, my as yet un-installed Nashbar touring bar is black, the outer bar wrap will be Nashbar's black/white/gray marble. I'll also replace the front chain-rings so the nifty gold-colored "bio-pace" decal will go away as well (the bio-pace is just weird...). That's a whole lotta black-paint on a bicycle!

BTW, I really like how the black/silver web and the yellow/gold Schwinn decal looks, but the combo is pretty well destroyed and needs a fresh look.

Sooooo, what color would you have the frame/forks powder-coated given the color of the current components/planned upgrades?

Incidentally, I like the high-viz tape stuff, but otherwise not too fond of neon colors.