View Single Post
Old 01-07-14, 03:12 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
Oh, good, it came off as encouragement! I didn't want it to seem as harshness towards the bike; I don't know if you read the whole thread, but I'm definitely a Nano enthusiast. As you've discovered, they're simply a blast to ride.

It should be no surprise that improvements make them better bikes. Probably the weakest component spec and only real design flub is the 1" headtube with threaded, JIS headset. The headset is totally unsealed, making it extremely vulnerable to the elements and rapid wearing. That it's 1" JIS spec makes replacement options limited and kinda hard to find. Not that the thing is gonna fall apart; allthough I don't ride my daily or in rain, I'm sure there are guys who do, and probably regular servicing of it in those conditions will be necessary for peak performance and longevity.

Otherwise, once they're lubed and adjusted, it's a completely decent bike and a real attention getter. My build has been geared towards (literally!) performance road riding, but as you may have seen in the thread, there are lots of options as commuting, fixed gear, urban, and even touring setups. Have fun with yours!