View Single Post
Old 01-07-14, 08:24 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
this is a Steyr built machine. essentially a Bergmeister in Sears livery. steerer will be 26.0mm.
+1^^, BINGO.

That it's essentially the Bergmeister model (and not the same-color Clubman model that I've got) is evidenced by the internal rear brake cable housing, but Sears perhaps cheaped out and ditched what I recall was the Bergmeister's exquisite twin-plate(?) fork crown for a plainer one, but it's definitely not the Clubman's even-cheaper, trim-covered crown.

But perhaps none of these lower-to-mid-priced Austrian bikes had derailer hangers to begin with. My derailer has a claw mount.

And their lugged/brazed frames appear to have their dropouts electric-welded to flattened stays and fork blades. At least my Clubman model does, but maybe not the Sears and Bergmeister models that I notice also have chromed rear stays.

My similar Clubman had awful cable clips everywhere, and that I had to replace just to look at the thing!

Before and after. Notice all the zip ties I had to use initially, even the gear housing, yuck! ...And gawd, it was well over 30lbs with the steel rims. Much better now.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
01010_3b1cIZ3zul1_600x450.jpg (48.8 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by dddd; 01-07-14 at 09:03 PM.