Old 01-09-14, 09:34 PM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Milk is not bad for you. Quite the opposite. Unless you are lactose intolerant or casein sensitive, which amounts to a very small percentage of the population, it's one of the best fuels and recovery drinks available to us. Our local food coop sells organic raw unpasteurized whole milk. It flies off the shelves. Demand outstrips supply. It's the largest single calorie source for Kenyan runners. Humans have been drinking it for thousands of years. When I competed in Nordic XC, I'd drink two 12 oz. glasses of whole milk with breakfast and more during the day. It's good stuff. Don't worry about it.

The ranters are ranters. The unpopularity of their views with the general populace only encourages them, because if most people don't believe it, that proves they're right. Notice that most of the experienced top cyclists who used to post here have left this forum. This is a common pattern that has persisted ever since the early bulletin boards and unmoderated email lists. And unfortunately, there is nothing to be done about it. Eventually such BBs and lists empty out except for the ranters, who may continue talking to each other for all eternity for all we know.
I kind of agree with what you've written, but it's completely goal dependent. If someone is riding hard intervals and looking for a good recovery drink and they tolerate milk well, then it's good. If that person is trying to cut weight and not riding hard, then it may not what they're looking for.

Side note: I bet that unpasteurized whole milk is pretty yummy stuff.