View Single Post
Old 01-10-14, 11:30 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Wow, how did you know it is an Agrati chainset? I can't find any name on it at all. I thought mine looked just like the craigslist bike, minus one ring(?).

Indeed, the Sears bike seems to be a budget-built "special" version of the Bergmeister? The fork crown looks just like the one used on some of the Ted Williams Steyr bikes sold by Sears, and which had 531 main tubes and Record shifters/derailers.

I might have assumed that my crankset was produced in the Steyr factory, but just as easily could have been sourced out.

Mine is like a 1972 model, as printed on the rims iir. It did come with alloy/steel 3-piece hi-flange hubs with solid axles and wingnuts!, and I think that the Craigslist bike has these wheels also.

I seem to recall that the front hub was stamped France and the rear one Italy, even though they were obviously an identically-named, matched set! Threading was stamped BSA on the dust shield.
I posted this photo at the time, trying to show the "MADEINITALY" text on the steel center barrel:

Last edited by dddd; 01-10-14 at 11:37 PM.